Last updateThu, 30 Sep 2021 9am


Introducing – Tools for Cinema Quality Assurance


Cinema Test Tools for the Non-Technical Manager 

  • A free resource for the cinema industry
  • Tuned most particularly for the non-technical manager.
  • Tools include:
    • Several DCPs for testing the sound and picture quality
    • Lessons on sound and light
    • Written to help communicate with the technicians

The key is a free Online Managers Online Walk Through Checklist that correlates with the many DCPs. It helps bring an understanding of the many nuances of the auditorium's situation in a straightforward way. 

Help with connecting the dots...

Two (Now Sony), Who'll Be The Next In Line? LED Wall Wars, 2018/2019

Within a day of the finish of the Display Summit 2018 seminar that described the inevitability and technology of not only holograms (in the long term) but LED walls (in the mid to short term) in cinema exhibition, player 2 formally gets announced with their inclusion of the Sony ZRD-2 Crystal LED Display System with controllers secure processing 'box' as Compliant Equipment having passed the DCI Compliance Test Plan (CTP).

The Sony system will have some of the same problems as the Samsung ONYX LED wall, having to go to great extremes to put audio in the correct position – seeming to come from the on-screen speaker's mouths as they move across the screen. They are both modular displays, but they do not have the holes that a projection screen does to pass sound waves through.

Read more ...

Filmmaker Ang Lee Becomes a Humble Technology Ambassador at IBC

Ang Lee and Julian Pinn

As was the case at this year’s NAB conference in April, Ang Lee became the main attraction at this year’s IBC in Amsterdam receiving the IBC International Honour for Excellence at Sunday’s Award Ceremony for his contributions toward pushing big screen technology, as previously seen in his masterful use of 3D and CGI in “Life of Pi”, for which he won his second Academy Award for Best Director.

The following day (Monday, 12 September) the filmmaker delivered the Big Screen Experience keynote address at the RAI Auditorium “on his creative artistry and transformational vision of cinema.”

Read more ...

Barco Breaks Lasers Into Normal (Updated)

CinemaCon is starting with a bang, with Barco announcing its first range of large to small laser light engine projectors, with a press announcement – exhibits open soon enough, so more details later.

Barco launches full portfolio of laser-illuminated cinema projectors

Link for data: Discover the full fleet of Barco laser cinema projectors

Read more ...

Digital Test Tools Introduces The New Age of Quality Assurance

After years, it can be announced:

Digital eXperience Guardian Eyes and Ears Banner

Can an Art be duplicated by a machine? For certainly, a technician judging the audio and picture quality of a theater auditorium is an Art as well as a Science.

Can a machine duplicate the patern recognition capabilities of an interested and intelligent human being walking through a room with, or even without, a sound and light meter?

Read more ...

Update: Laser v Xenon; Let's See...the End Game

Update: There is now a reservation website for the 7 public demonstrations...REGISTRATION | Laser Projection Demonstrations

The reservation form says that the 3D events will be on a silver screen, showing both laser and xenon while the Side-by-Side demos will include split screen on both white and silver screens.

There is also a notice that the sponsors of this technology event are NEC, Ballantyne Strong and Qube.

While we try to get more technical details, I would appreciate it if you wrote me with questions or comments that you have on the demos in particular or the technology.  Write to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LLE makes splashy entrance for side by side demo

Research. Develop. Productize. It isn't as if the first two are a piece of cake, but the latter begets loving descriptions. For example: The first 90% takes 90% of the time. The last 10% takes the other 90%. And that is often a serious underestimate.

Laser engines for high end projectors is such a natural. Doubtless, every chief engineer at every manufacturing company looks at the fundamentals thinking that there must be a way to glue everything together by now, nothing to hamper putting the building blocks together. And yet, years later, the concept and reality of laser engines is still R&D.

It was bold of Christie to put two demonstrations out there late last year and early this. The IBC 2012 presentation included a clip during the pre-show that was mostly shadow when the playback was at 10 candela/m2 (3.5 fL), while the same clip at 48 cd/m2 showed that people had been walking in the same space. Seeing the full 126 minutes of Hugo Cabret with 4 times the light that night was a 3D revelation.

Read more ...